Healthcare reform in Massachusetts? Raise the federal minimum wage? Politics has a strange way of making people speak around election time—as does pressure from small but vocal segments of the political landscape. One can’t help but wonder what would have happened in the past presidential election had Mitt Romney not found him self boxed into something of an ideological corner the more extreme so-called conservative elements of the Republican Party.
On all sides of the spectrum, it seems that gamesmanship has replaced conscious as the valued currency of the day. It seems that folks believe that to win elections, you must tell the loudest folks in the room that you agree with them. Makes us wonder if some of the low turnout in elections might be due to the middle of the nation’s political spectrum being turned off by the shrill voices on the extreme right and left.
As for this policy, has anyone ever considered that people in the lower levels of the economic spectrum tend to be very eager consumers and that with more economic resources in their hands, they’ll spend more? Of course we know that the economy is far more complex than could be discussed here and that, at some point, we might be discussing a zero sum game. But, if movement is “sexy,” perhaps there should be consideration for enticing movement from the ground up.
Mitt Romney: Raise Minimum Wage
Speaking on MSNBC’s Morning Joe, former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney said he supports raising the federal minimum wage. “I, for instance, as you know, part company with many of the conservatives in my party on the issue of the minimum wage. I think we ought to raise it. Because frankly, our party is all about more jobs and better pay.” Senate Republicans recently shot down a bill that would have raised it to $10.10. Former GOP presidential nomination contenders Tim Pawlenty and Rick Santorum also came out recently for an increase in the minimum wage.
About the Author (Author Profile)Frost Illustrated is Fort Wayne's oldest weekly newspaper. Your Independent Voice in the Community, featuring news & views of African Americans since 1968.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Former GOP Leaders Pushing Hard For Minimum Wage Increase – Daily Caller | dailynewscafe.net | May 9, 2014
- Romney urges GOP to back minimum wage hike – Boston Globe | perfectbacon.com | May 9, 2014
- Romney urges GOP to back minimum wage hike – Boston Globe | Newssplash.net | May 9, 2014
- Romney urges GOP to back minimum wage hike – Boston Globe « Body build | May 9, 2014
- Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney supports raising the minimum wage – UPI.com | dailynewscafe.net | May 9, 2014
- Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney supports raising the minimum wage – UPI.com | Newssplash.net | May 9, 2014