FORT WAYNE—Jerusalem Baptist Church, 1151 Francis St., is scheduled to celebrate their 54th Homecoming Church Anniversary throughout the month of June. The theme for the celebration is “A New Covenant Church,” taken from Jeremiah 31:31.
Jerusalem Baptist Church is one of the oldest African American Baptist churches in the city. The late Dr. Samuel A. Walker served as the church’s leader for more than 40 years. Members say his legacy here and abroad will never be forgotten. That current Pastor, Dr. Michael A. Griffin, who has been described as a blessing to the church. Dr. Griffin said he is committed to leading God’s people and saving the unsaved, “for it is no secret what God can do.”
Among the scheduled events, guests and programs are:
• 5 p.m., Sunday, June 1—Renaissance Missionary Baptist Church with the
Rev. Michael L. Latham Sr., pastor.
• 10:45 a.m., Sunday, June 8—Baccalaureate Sunday with Galilee Missionary Baptist Church, Defiance, Ohio and the Rev. Raymond Gaffney, pastor.
• 5 p.m., Sunday June 8—New Beginnings Church and the Rev. Carlton A. Lynch, pastor.
• 11 a.m., Saturday, June 14—“100 Women in White Luncheon” with the theme “Christian Women With A New Heart” taken from Psalms 51:10, Proverbs 4:23 and Jeremiah 7:9-10. There is a $10 donation being asked from those attending. Donation: $10. The scheduled speaker for the event is Dr. Sandra Nowlin of Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church where the Rev. Gonzalee Martin is pastor. The event also is scheduled to include a display of Fashion Struts Fashions by Lady Rita Chambers.
• 10:45 a.m., Sunday, June 22—Greater Mt Pleasant Baptist Church, Chicago with the Rev. Derrick P. Garth, pastor.
• 1:15 p.m., Sunday, June 22– Homecoming Fellowship Dinner at Samuel L. Walker Community Center on the church campus.