FORT WAYNE—CANI (Community Action of Northeast Indiana) Head Start has openings available for fall 2014.
CANI Head Start is a free, comprehensive early childhood development program; meeting high standard educational, health, nutritional, and social service needs of low-income children and families. CANI Head Start serves children ages three to five, and their families in Allen, Noble and Whitley counties.
The program will serve 776 children this year and there are still many openings available to new children. To qualify, families must be at or below 100 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. However, 10 percent of the total enrollment may be considered over-income with those slots usually being held by children with a diagnosed special need.
CANI Head Start helps families by providing children with quality preschool education and screening for vision, dental, hearing and cognitive abilities. When a delay is confirmed, they are referred and receive services from other agencies. Parents are strongly encouraged to participate in the program, thus gaining knowledge of good early childhood education practices. CANI family advocates work with the families based on their individual needs including: housing, education, childcare assistance, mental health concerns, help with budgeting, and a variety of other issues.
Families can enroll at the following CANI Head Start sites:
· East Wayne: 825 Francis St. in Fort Wayne, (260) 422-6503;
· Hanna Creighton: 2107 S. Hanna St. in Fort Wayne, (260) 456-1576;
· Salvation Army: 2901 N. Clinton St. in Fort Wayne, (260) 373-1760;
· St. Henry’s, 3029 E. Paulding Road in Fort Wayne, (260) 969-0212;
· Temple Achduth Vesholom, 5200 Old Mill Road in Fort Wayne, (260) 745-5001
· First Presbyterian Church: 201 S. State St. in Kendallville, (260) 349-9092;
· Ligonier United Methodist Church, 466 Townline Road in Ligonier, (260) 894-7431;
· Columbia City: 1340 S. Governors Drive in Columbia City, (260) 244-2737
An application can be found online at www.canihelp.org. For more information about Head Start, contact the CANI Head Start Administration Office, (260) 420-2833 or (800) 589-3506.