Free forums set to assist in expunging criminal records

| October 3, 2013
State Senator Greg Taylor

State Senator Greg Taylor

FORT WAYNE—People needing a “second chance” in life after having made earlier mistakes are set to get some valuable, but free information and assistance from members of the community and the authors of Indiana’s criminal conviction expungement law.

The Fort Wayne Commission on the Social Status of African American Males, along with the IPFW Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs and State of Indiana in partnership with the Fort Wayne Urban League, Fort Wayne NAACP, Fort Wayne Boys & Girls Club and Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, is scheduled to host an Indiana Criminal Conviction Expungement Information Forum at 10 a.m., Oct. 10 in the IPFW Walb Union Ballroom, 2101 East Coliseum Blvd., and at 5:30 p.m., that same evening at Turner Chapel AME Church, 836 E. Jefferson Blvd.

State Representative Jud McMillen

State Representative Jud McMillen

Indiana’s expungement law, signed into law as House Bill 1482 by Governor Mike Pence, came into effect July 1 of this year. The law enables qualifying individuals with past felonies or misdemeanors to petition the court to have their Indiana criminal records expunged. Advocates of the law say it allows repentant people who have made past mistakes to receive better chances to get jobs and other opportunities that often are denied them because of past felony convictions.

Organizers say the bill’s two authors, State Senator Greg Taylor and State Representative Jud McMillen, are scheduled to attend to clear up information about the law’s intent and application. Additionally, lawyers are scheduled to be on hand to answer questions regarding sealing and/or expunging criminal records. Attendees interested in having their records expunged are asked to bring the following documents, if possible:

• A copy of your most recent (updated) “court docket sheet” regarding the conviction for possible expungement, obtainable from the County Clerk’s Office in the county where your case was handled.

• Complete criminal history to date (obtainable from the Indiana State Police at this link

• If you have appealed your case to a higher court, please bring your most recent Appellate Court documents.

The forums are free and open to the public.

For more information, call Andre Patterson at (260) 481-0134.


This article originally appeared in the Oct. 2 print edition.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Events, Local