NAACP issues a call to action for the Fort Wayne Community to mobilize to prevent further gun violence. The press conference will focus on the national and local escalating mortality resulting from guns. From the White House to the State House to your House there is something that can be done.
Strategies that have been recommended include:
1. Making background checks universal.
2. Improving state reporting of criminals and the mentally ill.
3. Banning assault weapons.
4. Capping magazine clip capacity at 10 bullets.
5. Purging armor-piercing bullets.
6. Funding police officers.
7. Strengthening gun tracking.
8. Supporting research on gun violence.
9. Encouraging mental health providers to get involved.
10. Promoting safe gun ownership.
11. Funding school counseling.
12. Encouraging safe, anti-bullying school environments.
13. Recognizing the mental health needs of low-income Americans.
14. Contacting your Senator by April 8.